Additional School Leadership Changes for Coming Year
The following school principal and vice-principal transfers and appointments for the 2023-2024 school year will come into effect on August 1, 2023:
Principal Dawn Snell will transfer from Salmo Elementary to South Nelson Elementary.
Vice-Principal Mark Bonikowsky will move from Trafalgar Middle School to become principal of Redfish Elementary School.
Vice-Principal Jennifer Adams will move from Mount Sentinel Secondary School to become principal of Canyon-Lister Elementary School.
Mr. Roman Wyllie, who currently works in SD69 - Qualicum, has been hired as vice-principal of L.V. Rogers Secondary School. Mr. Wyllie has served as a secondary teacher and adjunct professor since 2014.
Changes Announced in April
Past principal and vice-principal changes announced in April 2023:
- Principal Ken Wiens will move from Erickson Elementary to take on the district principal role for online learning programs Elev8 DESK and Homelinks.
- Principal Brian Hamm will move from Kootenay River Secondary to become principal of Erickson Elementary.
- Vice-Principal of Kootenay River Secondary Mike Nelson will add vice-principal of Wildflower Creston to his leadership portfolio.
- Principal Laury Carriere will move from Canyon-Lister Elementary to become principal of Kootenay River Secondary School and continue as principal of Wildflower Creston.
- Principal Victoria McAllister will lead Crawford Bay Elementary and Secondary School
- Acting Principal Ron Sherman will remain at J.V. Humphries and Jewett School and become principal.
- Vice-Principal Danielle Klassen will move from L.V. Rogers Secondary School to become vice-principal at Trafalgar Middle School.
“Congratulations to our new school leaders and to those leaders who are taking on new roles in our district. Your leadership is fundamental to the success of our students and our staff who teach and support them,” said Superintendent Trish Smillie.
School leader openings at Salmo Elementary and Mount Sentinel Secondary School will be filled in the coming months and changes announced before the next school year begins.
About School District No. 8 (Kootenay Lake): SD8 provides educational services to numerous diverse communities in the East & West Kootenays, including Crawford Bay, Creston, Kaslo, Meadow Creek, Nelson, Salmo, Slocan, South Slocan, Winlaw, Wynndel and Yahk. Its dedicated team focuses on providing the best possible educational opportunities for over 4,800 students and their families. Its mission is to focus on excellence for all learners in a nurturing environment.